Designing “Green Buildings” by specifying prefabricated steel joists, trusses, and wall panels is an environmentally correct decision, and helps qualify for LEED credits. Proffitt & Sons experienced design staff can help make your buildings “Green.”
Prefabricated steel joists, trusses, and wall panels, as a part of structural steel, are recycled at a rate of 96 percent – significantly lowering energy use and the nation’s demand for virgin raw material. Proffitt & Sons working together with you can make an impact on our environment.
Prefabricated steel trusses, wall panels, and joists are the preferred choice For Green Building and Sustainable Design
For architects and engineers working to achieve sustainable design, a building created with prefabricated steel trusses, joists, and wall panels
significantly boosts the amount of recycled products used in the project – a plus when working to achieve LEED credits.
In addition to its “green” nature, Design Flexibility is also an advantage of using prefabricated steel trusses, joists, and wall panels. It offers several advantages:
- Maximum Headroom
- Allows pipes, ducts, and electrical to run through joist open webs (not possible with other types of construction)
- Steel framing is non combustible and helps to meet fire code specs with single layer drywall
- Longer spans are possible with prefabricated steel joists and don’t require the number of support columns needed with other types of construction such as concrete. This gives the designer more ability to move walls and partitions an important factor in new construction as well as remodeling or adaptive reuse
- The higher strength to weight ratio of prefabricated steel joists allows them to support greater loads Prefabricated steel framing is very ductile, making it more forgiving in situations such as earthquakes. Prefabricated steel framing can take uplift and gravity loading because it has inherent strength in each direction.
- Prefabricated Steel Structural Framing Offers Many Cost Savings, Better Cost Predictability, Better Cost Control, and Improved Quality for Designers, Owners, General Contractors, and Sub Contractors
- Less structure weight with prefabricated steel framing translates to savings in foundation costs.
- Custom engineered prefabricated steel framing components for your building provides code compliance and reduced chance of future structural problems.
- Prefabricated steel framing allows you to build better and faster – allows for better sub-contractor utilization – reduces length of time on the project – saves labor – reduces overrun costs – gives you a more satisfied building owner.
- Proffitt & Sons’ prefabricated steel trusses, floor joists, and panels are fabricated to exacting standards using precision jigs in our quality controlled plant resulting in higher quality and lower costs than job site stick building procedures.
- Prefabricated panels, trusses, and floor joists can be installed more quickly because their installation is not slowed by weather conditions. This all weather capability minimizes costly construction delays and permits fast-track scheduling.
- Prefabricated steel structural framing reduces the need for as many highly skilled trade workers at the job site. Using prefabricated steel structural framing helps to overcome the scarcity of available well trained trade labor, and allows builders to adapt more easily to fluctuating levels of building projects.
- Proffitt & Sons offers a number of value added services such as professional consulting assistance during project planning, turn key erection services, or professional supervision at the job site.
- Proffitt & Sons, Inc. holds an unlimited contractor’s license and offers substantial bonding and financial capabilities allowing us to work on and complete essentially any project. We are fully compliant with all government requirements and have worked on local, state, and federal projects. We are also qualified and registered to bid on United States Military contracts and have completed several of them.
- Prefabricated steel framing lowers on site insurance costs.
- Prefabricated steel framing provides Lower Building Maintenance costs.
- Prefabricated steel framing provides durability and longevity – Longer Building Service Life – Lower cost of ownership.
- Prefabricated steel framing is Corrosion Resistant
- Prefabricated steel framing does not promote the growth of mold and reduces the threat of staggering litigation and expenses.
- Prefabricated steel framing reduces the exposure to toxins from resins, adhesives, or chemicals normally encountered with wood construction. No pesticides or toxins are required to protect steel framing from termites or vermin.
- Prefabricated steel framing provides a termite-proof solution for the structural integrity of your project
- Fire Resistant – Prefabricated steel framing is non combustible and will not add fuel to a fire it actually improves fire safety compliance with local codes and regulations
- Prefabricated steel framed buildings are lightning resistant because steel framing provides multiple conductive paths directly to the ground.
- Prefabricated steel framing offers building code approved increases in allowable floor area and/or allowable building heights compared to conventional wood framing.
- Prefabricated steel framing is environmentally friendly – Builders can reduce their disposal costs and reduce material going to local landfills.
- Prefabricated steel framing is recyclable and considered to be a green building material. Steel framing materials contain, on average, 67% recycled steel. It takes 25 old growth trees to build a 2,500 square foot wooden framed structure compared with the steel from 7 recycled automobiles to build the same structure with steel framing.
- Prefabricated steel framing provides strength and resiliency to help structures survive earthquakes and hurricanes better than other types of structures.
- Prefabricated steel framing can be engineered to meet the highest seismic and wind loads prescribed by building codes. Steel has the highest strength-toweight ratio of any framing material. A lighter structure with stronger connections results in less damage from seismic forces.
- Prefabricated Steel wall panels, trusses, and joists can be installed faster and with substantially lower labor costs.
- Prefabricated steel trusses, panels, and joists can reduce on site storage requirements. Proffitt & Sons will ship directly to the job site on the day you need them with the items loaded in the order you need them to come off the truck for installation.
- Prefabricated steel framing installation is not slowed by weather conditions. This all-weather capability minimizes construction delays, permits fast-track scheduling, and lowers over all costs with better cost predictability and control.